Halo Hair Extensions
“I originally was seeking a PR agency that would give my brand consistent, on-message editorial coverage across trade and consumer media. With Catalyst, we certainly achieved that and much more besides. They created trade Ambassadors for our brand, developed business to business programmes, opened and introduced us to new stockists… together with their PR expertise, Catalyst added £000’s to our bottom line.
Halo is now very much a recognised and favourite brand by Professional Hairdressers and the public alike.”
Halo Hair Extensions
In a UK marketplace worth £62 million (2012), Halo Hair extensions operate within a very fragmented market both in the professional hairdressing and consumer marketplaces.
A leading brand, Halo rely on new product development, on-going awareness of the ethical sourcing and quality and ease of application of their high end products to grow their business within the professional hairdressing Industry, comprising some 30,000 salons and 450 dedicated cash and carry/wholesale operations.
Halo briefed Catalyst to create an integrated robust and positive profile for the company, their products and their services, particularly education, within the Industry, leading to increases in both users and distribution, sales (profitable), increased market share and overall awareness of the key points of difference and desirability of Halo. Halo, previously had a low profile within professional hairdressing, in a profession where image and positive profile is all important, this was holding Halo back and key to their growth.
Campaign Strategy and Execution
Catalyst proposed and executed the following strategy:
• In an industry very much influenced by industry ‘icons’, well known hairdressers are a powerful selling tool when allied to brands. Catalyst used both its knowledge of the industry and its contacts to approach and sign up the acknowledged Queen of Hair Extensions – Michelle Griffin and multiple award winning hairdresser Alexander Turnbull to the Halo brand.
• The above experts were then utilised to create business to business training programmes, advertising campaigns, extensive step by step editorial features, quotes, on-line and feature articles, photographic collections, all designed specifically to create both the extensive range of services and products that Halo offer and to promote the desirability of those products and accompanying services.
• With this preparatory work complete, Catalyst’s PR team approached the hairdressing trade press, working with the individual publications to finesse specific business to business PR and related advertising campaigns tailored to the readerships of these weekly and monthly publications, garnering over 180 editorial pieces and front covers over the 5 trade journals.
• Catalyst created a collage of these features which were both added to the client website and also produced sales presenters featuring the coverage, for the client sales teams to use as extra, and very powerful business to business sales tools.
• Catalyst worked with Halo to introduce their products into the more influential hairdressing trade cash and carry groups that specifically supply the hairdressing industry. Catalyst negotiated the introduction of Halo products with the client, arranged in house education of their staff and arranged for cash and carry education evenings for new purchasers of the Halo Products, delivered by the Brand Ambassadors Catalyst also created and produced support items to enhance the product purchase visibility within the cash and carry outlets.
• Catalyst, via its contacts and salon clients, introduced Halo into many key, high profile salons and salon groups, so trusted are Catalyst by these outlets that they moved onto Halo from their existing brands.
• Catalyst generated a comprehensive and targeted consumer campaign, on behalf of salons stocking Halo, designed specifically to A) generate active interest and awareness of the product and B) to drive the consumer into those Halo salons. This campaign generated significant pieces in Vogue, Elle, Grazia, Company, Cosmopolitan, Looks, Essentials, Reveal, More, Love It, Celebs on Sunday, Shout.
• Catalyst developed, created and delivered business to business marketing campaign, featuring the products and brand Ambassador stories, recommendations and Catalyst generated photography.
• Catalyst generated a social media, face book and twitter campaign aimed at generating both business to business interest and awareness.
• Catalyst worked with the brand ambassadors to create training films that were added to the Halo website and now appear on the Halo you tube site to ensure that Halo salons remain in touch and trained on the latest products, application and styling techniques.
• Catalyst took Halo to the Professional Hairdresser Live exhibition in 2013, the first show it has participated in. Deemed too early for the previous year for the brand, Halo, through its stand at the 2013 show, generated turnover to cover the cost of its presence at the show and created distributor enquiries and direct sales results from salons and, with Catalyst creating awareness of activities at the show through PR, social media activity and sales initiatives and stand promotions, impacted the brand further on the target marketplace of professional hairdressing salons.
• Catalyst implemented a £1,500 business to business campaign, using leading trade publication Hairdressers Journal’s on line resources, this in itself generated £7,500 in turnover.
• Catalyst brokered introductions to trade hairdressing cash and carries for the Halo brand.
• Catalyst also created a targeted, business to business salon campaign incorporating tip-ons, flyers, leaflets. Trade magazine belly wraps and PR feature articles and Ambassador interviews to maintain the momentum of the awareness and sales and distribution campaign.
Through a joined-up PR led trade strategy, integrating a trade advertising campaign, education, distribution, sales, social media and consumer PR designed to drive consumers into salons with specific demand for Halo products and services, the company has become a brand leader within the professional hair extensions marketplace.
The results of the campaign are significant, the number of targeted salons stocking Halo has grown from 75 to 300 active, heavy buying salons, and turnover has grown from a pre-campaign £1,500,000 to £3,500,000.
“Catalyst identified at once, and communicated to the trade, that Halo was not just a product, it offered potential to create an extra, popular and high turnover service opportunity for the salon. Communicated via an intensive trade, business to business campaign, backed by extensive marketing activities, Halo is now a major and leading company in the professional hair extensions market.”